Cheddar Cheese Homemade Ice Cream Recipe
Cheese is a dairy product — so this may not taste as strange as it sounds. Kids will love the orange color on this intriguing spin on classic ice cream.
Have you ever apple pie with cheddar cheese? Try a scoop of Cheddar Cheese ice cream the next time you serve apple pie. The result is amazing – unlike anything you’ve ever tasted!
- 7 large egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1½ cups half and half
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1½ cups (6 oz) Sharp Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- Optional: Raspberry Sauce, Swirl into semi-firm ice cream before removing from maker.
- Beat together sugar, salt, and eggs yolks until thick and pale. Set aside.
- In a heavy medium pan, simmer half and half over medium heat. Slowly beat the hot half and half into the egg mixture to temper the eggs.
- Pour mixture back into pan over very low heat (or use double boiler). Stir constantly until mixture thickens into custard; do not let the mixture boil.
- Stir cheese into custard until it melts. Remove from heat.
- Stir in cream and vanilla. Cover and chill until cold.
- Freeze in ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s instructions. Cover and freeze 2hrs, or overnight.
Makes approximately 8-cups of ice cream; enough to fill 9×5 loaf pan.