Looking for the secret recipe for Grandmother’s famous cranberry bread recipe featured in the childhood classic book Cranberry Thanksgiving? Mr. Whisker’s loved it, too!
In Cranberry Christmas written by Wendy and Harry Devlin, Grandmother’s favorite holiday of Thanksgiving goes awry when Maggie invites the unsavory Mr. Whiskers to join the feast. Is Grandmother’s secret recipe for her famous cranberry bread safe?
Now your family can enjoy this secret recipe, too! Read the book with your child, and bake some bread together!
Grandmother’s Famous Cranberry Recipe
Fresh orange and tangy cranberries make this super-moist bread a favorite at a holiday breakfast or brunch. Make several loafs to share with teachers, family and friends for the holidays. Everyone loves the gift of homemade cranberry bread!
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup butter, very cold
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 tsp grated orange peel
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 2 cups fresh cranberries, very coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup raisins or 1/2 cups walnuts, coarsely chopped (Optional)
- Butter or lightly spray a 9 x 5 x 3 inch loaf pan.
- Sift together into large bowl flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda.
- Slice butter into 1/4 inch cubes; Cut butter into flour mixture until it is crumbly.
- Add egg, orange peel, and orange juice; stir briefly until just mixed.
- Gently fold in cranberries, and walnuts and/or raisins, if desired.
- Bake at 350F for 1hr and 10 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from pan, and cool on a wire rack.
Makes one loaf.