With a pinch of humor and a dash of suspense, this list of not-so-scary Halloween books for preschoolers helps soothe their fears, while still embracing the thrill of being scared.
Start a home library of special Halloween books that children take out year after year to enjoy the spirit!
Best Halloween Books for Preschoolers and Young Children
1. In the Haunted House[sc:book69 ]
2. Room on the Broom
by Julia Donaldson, Axel Scheffler
Author Julia Donaldson's charming rhyme about the kind-hearted, ginger-haired witch and her magnificent broom
3. Five Little Pumpkins
by Dan Yaccarino
The classic Halloween counting folk poem beloved by generations of parents and children
4. Pumpkin Soup
by Helen Cooper
A story of friendship and cooking squabbles, this delightful book is a warm, cozy autumn read.
5. The Little Old Lady Who Wasn’t Afraid of Anything
by Linda D. Williams, Megan Lloyd
Little ones love to act-out this classic story of the little old lady. Clop-Clop!
6. Monster Needs a Costume[sc:book73]
7. The Monster At the End of This Book
by Jon Stone, Michael Smollin
Don't Turn the Page! You'll never forget your child's reaction to lovable Grover.
8. The Pumpkin Book
by Gail Gibbons
Everything you ever wanted to know about pumpkins, in this perfect non-fiction book for young scientists.
Why Kids Love Halloween Books
- Funny things about being afraid. Halloween can be a scary time of young children. Help soothe their fears with humorous books which embrace the spirit of being scared, without becoming fearful.
- Acting out. Several of our Halloween book picks are great read-alouds for acting out. Parents can grab shoes for the Clop-Clop, and make up funny voices for the ginger-braided witch!
- Spooky Science. Halloween provides a fun opportunity for introducing basic science concepts to preschool age children. Read about the plant lifecycle, like how a seed grows into a pumpkin, or talk about cooking science with a pipkin of pepper for the perfect pumpkin soup!